It is finally 2022! The New Year is the perfect time to ditch bad habits and revamp your oral care routine. We are sure you’re used to hearing about New Year’s resolutions and the fact that relatively few people stick with them after the first month of the year. The goals we want to help you set are not only beneficial to your oral and overall health but are also attainable and sustainable! Here are ten simple goals to help you keep your teeth healthy this year:
- Brush your teeth gently. If you use too much pressure when you brush your teeth, you can damage your gums over time.
- Keep up a healthy, balanced diet. Everyone knows staying away from sugar is essential for the health of your teeth, but did you know having a generally balanced diet is too? Fiber-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables and dairy products are beneficial to the overall health of your teeth and enamel.
- Schedule your first hygiene visit of the year. We recommend seeing your dental hygienist every six months. If you haven’t come in for hygiene since June, it is time to schedule! Keeping up with your hygiene appointments has many benefits, the greatest of which is keeping any plaque and tartar that has developed on your teeth under control.
- If you like to chew gum, make sure it is sugarless. In addition to this, chewing sugarless gum after big meals can help prevent tooth decay!
- Start brushing twice per day for two minutes each time. We hope all of you are already brushing twice per day, but increasing your brush time to two minutes will ensure a healthier smile and a lower likelihood of developing cavities.
- Drink water that is infused with fluoride. Fluoride is excellent at helping prevent the onset of cavities by giving your teeth a stronger resistance to acids.
- Use mouthwash. Mouthwash is great for fighting bacteria, especially on your tongue and gums. You will see the best benefits of mouthwash if you use it for 30 seconds twice per day as a part of your brushing routine.
- Drink more water. Water is vital for all areas of your health, including oral health! When you drink water, especially with a meal, it will wash away plaque-causing substances such as sugars and starches.
- Commit to replacing your toothbrush every three months. If you use the same toothbrush for too long, the bristles will become worn out and less effective at cleaning your teeth. This may mean more visits to the dentist and more money spent in the long run. Prevent this from happening, and start your year by treating yourself to a new toothbrush today!
- Keep up with your flossing. If you have been to see us recently, you know how much we emphasize flossing. When you floss, you can clean surfaces of your teeth that a toothbrush cannot reach. Floss twice a day with your brushing!
Your oral health is so important! What better way to start 2022 than by prioritizing it? We promise adopting these ten accessible practices will make a difference in the long-term health of your smile. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, give our office a call today at (469) 943-1400 to schedule your first hygiene appointment of the year and have all your questions answered!
Learn more about wisdom teeth.